I have found that the demands of a Copywriter by Companies who have advertised for a Copywriter, seek to hire the following skills. But sadly, Copywriters are not trained or skilled enough to perform certain tasks that are in demand in the digital era.
The skills many Companies seek in a Copywriter in the Digital Age are typically:
• ADVERTISING: Copywriting skills to write for Print, Social Media, and Blogs
• CONTENT WRITING & SEO: They also want the Copywriter to write blogs that are Search Engine Optimised to boost Search Engine ranking (requires knowledge of Website back-end)
• RESEARCH: Knows how to perform Keywords Research
• CREATIVE DIRECTION: Needs to come up with original Creative Content
• GRAPHIC DESIGN: Sometimes needs to design advertisements and social media posts
• CMS (WEBSITE): Copywriters are required to plan, write, post, and maintain the blog pages of a Company’s website, and also maintain and periodically re-write or update the entire website.
This is why, in this digital age, all Copywriters MUST learn at least the back-end of the popular WordPress Content Management System (CMS), and also knowledge on how to perform Keywords Research that she or he shall insert as Meta Descriptions and within the Copy in the website.
5 Reasons Why Every Copywriter MUST Learn Website Content Management System (CMS) in 2021:
1. You will understand the importance and connection of Copywriting in a technical sense
2. You will have a better understanding of Digital Marketing & Search Engines by using certain plugins & tools
3. You will be able to research and insert the relevant Keywords and Keyphrases that your target audience uses to search for your products in the websites’ meta descriptions, tags, website (CMS), and blog copy (Blog Copy is Content Writing, not Copywriting)
4. You will realise that no website should be built without the input of a Copywriter because this is the most important part of a website – Words & SEO (they go hand-in-hand)
5. You will be able to write, post, update and maintain the blogs of a website, and it is these blogs that are sprinkled with the relevant Keywords that help Search Engines find your website for better Search Engine ranking and Sales.
We have to, first of all, understand that websites are known as “Content Management Systems” (CMS). A website is the most important real estate for any company in the digital age – it’s your shop that is open 24 hours a day, every day, for every year that is also easily accessible from anywhere.
It, therefore, surprises me to find that many websites in Malaysia DO NOT have a blog page on their websites, and this is the only page in any website that is dynamic and can be updated regularly, as it should be, for Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and Digital Marketing success.
“Not having a Blog on your website is leaving money on the table.” – Joy NandyThis is the most important page in our entire website because we can write as much as we want using the keywords our target audiences use to lure them into our website so that we can close a sale.
Copywriters Need Digital Training
I have found that many Copywriters do not have sufficient digital knowledge. Without Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and some basic technical knowledge on the workings of a website, a Copywriter’s great creative and writing skills shall go to waste in this digital age.
Awhile back I posted the following post:
This is to illustrate that one could write as well as William Shakespeare, one of the all-time best writers, but if one does not know SEO and the use of Keywords in one’s articles and website – no one will find that article or website, sadly, and such great writing skills shall not see the light of day.
Copywriting & Content Writing Are Different…
Yes, I have written an article that explains The Difference Between Copywriting & Content Writing that Copywriters and Companies’ Recruitment people should read.
When Companies require a Copywriter to write and maintain blogs, a Copywriter will need knowledge of Keywords Research and CMS (Website Management). However, these functions are in the purview of a Content Writer, in fact. But since this term is new (Content Writer), most people simply call it “Copywriter”. Nonetheless, these are 2 different job functions with 2 different Marketing objectives; though a Writer can learn both, as I have myself.
So, Copywriters should be aware that they could be doing the jobs of 2 people, whilst getting paid for one – Copywriting only.
This is why all Copywriters, new and experienced, should learn the basics of WordPress CMS as this is the skill that is required and in demand by many companies today. Just to remind you of how important this knowledge is, – simply refer to my post above again…
Don’t be like William… learn Copywriting, Content Writing, SEO, Graphic Design & WordPress CMS in my all-new and exclusive CREATIVE DIGITAL MARKETING COURSE that will teach and prepare you for what the industry needs out there so that you can be successful in your career – and life, and always be the person in-demand.
Get in touch today…
Joy Nandy – Founder of The School Of Digital Advertising
* Not living in KL and wish to learn Copywriting and Content Writing? Yes, you can – Online Copywriting & Content Writing Courses Available